5 Myths of Blue Green Algae
- It’s toxic! Blue Green algae are a safe, nutritional product. It has no known side effects and is not to be confused with another species called microcystis that is toxic to humans.
- It’s Pond Scum! Blue Green algae, specifically aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA), cannot grow in ponds or swimming pools. It flourishes in the wild, in only one freshwater lake in the world.
- All Blue Green algae are the same! False! The only variety that is easily digested and assimilated is AFA due to the lack of a cellulose cell wall.
- All Blue Green algae are polluted and dirty! When AFA is properly harvested from Klamath Lake, it is washed and immediately freeze dried to preserve all its nutrients. Then it is tested by an independent laboratory for any foreign substances before is it encapsulated.
- The health benefits are exaggerated! Since ancient times, people have relied upon AFA as an excellent source of vegetarian protein, amino acids and vitamin B-12. Recent studies have shown that AFA contains both omega-3 fatty acids and phycocyanin that play a large role in healthy brain function.